Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THOMAS MEYRICK, 1857-1888

My Great Grand Uncle, Thomas MEYRICK, has been quite a mystery to me.  I knew from the MEYRICK family Bible entry that Annie (Meyrick) FRANCIS' brother, Thomas MEYRICK, had died at age 31 years on 14 Sep 1888. I had considered the possibility that he had been killed in a coal mine accident. I have recently found information about his death which is summarized below. To my knowledge, he died unmarried and without children. This information was kindly provided by the research librarian at the Pottsville Public Library, Pottsville, PA.

1888 Rpt of Fatal Accidents in the 2d Anthracite District, comprising parts of Luzerne, plus Old Forge and Lackawanna townships (Lackawanna Co), and Bernice township (Sullivan Co). (from the Reports of the Inspectors of Mines of the Anthracite Coal Regions of Pennsylvania for the Year Ending 31 December, 1888)

9/14 THOMAS MEYRICK, miner, 33, Keystone slope, Plains twp

Thomas Meyrick -- Instantly killed by a fall of rock in face of chamber. (p. 82, Dept. of Internal Affairs, Anthracite Mine Report, 1888)


Information about my MEYRICK family can be found in the web pages beginning at:

http://www.seventyyearsinthecoalmines.org/meyrick1.html


My search for information about Thomas' father and my 2nd great grandfather, Richard MEYRICK, is summarized in the document, "Who Was Richard MEYRICK?" at:

http://www.seventyyearsinthecoalmines.org/whowasrichardmeyrick.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment